Your Home. Our Purpose
Ice Dam Repairs in Northwest Indiana and Chicagoland Area
We have solutions to minimize
water damage & prevent ice dams
Indiana are known for their cold, snowy winters. The combination of heavy snow and subfreezing temperatures create ideal conditions for ice dams to form.
Our ice dam repair services:
- Removal of gypsum board, carpeting, insulation and other materials damaged by moisture and mold.
- Drying and dehumidification.
- Emergency roof repairs.
The experts at Stash Property Restoration of Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana can repair damage caused by ice dams, including roof and gutter damage and water damage inside of your home. Call or email us to schedule an estimate for water damage restoration in Lake Station, Portage, Chesterton and the surrounding areas of Indiana.
Two types of damage. An ice dam that forms along the eave can cause water damage due to leaks through the roofing material. The ice buildup can also damage gutters and fascia boards.
Free EstimateGet your home fixed fast with our professional disaster restoration, remodeling, and roofing services.
Causes of an Ice Dam
Ice dams form when there’s snow on your roof, but a few other things must happen before they can cause damage. They include the following:
- Melting Snow. Warm air from your home leaks into the attic through places like pull-down stairs, vent fans, and even recessed lights. The warm air rises to the upper sections of your roof where it starts to melt snow.
- Melted water freezes. You can’t see it, but a stream of water from the melted snow runs down the roof. When it gets to the eave, it often freezes. That’s because the eaves, which extend beyond the heated portion of your house, are typically colder than the rest of the roof. Eventually, a ridge of ice or an “ice dam” forms along the eaves.
- Water collects behind the dam. As the ridge of ice builds up, it traps a pool of water. Roofs are not made to hold water, just to shed it, so some of it can back up under the shingles and leak through the sheathing to the attic floor. From there, it can work its way through to the ceilings, walls, and even the floors below.
We can prevent damage & injury caused by an ice dam
A gutter filled with ice and weighted by heavy icicles (see photo) can cause:
- Injuries from falling icicles. Icicles can cause serious injury if they break loose and fall on a person. This sometimes happens when a homeowner attempts to knock them off the house.
- Damaged gutters. A gutter weighed down by ice can break free of the eave and become a twisted mess.
- Broken roof shingles. Freezing and thawing of water soaked shingles can cause them to break and fail. Attempts to remove ice may also damage shingles.
- Wet, damaged insulation. Insulation looses it ability to resist heat flow once it has become soaked with water due to an ice dam leak. As insulation becomes ineffective, the frequency of ice dams grows.
- Interior water damage. Ice dams can cause damage that ranges from stained walls and ceilings to ruined carpets, floors and furnishings. Left unattended, water-soaked materials can quickly begin to grow mold.
Know the signs. Icicles may look pretty and seem like part of winter, but they are a strong indicator of ice dams.
We have the solutions to minimize ice damming
Usually the results and damage associated with ice dams forming along eaves are interior water damage and ruined insulation.
One way to prevent ice damming from occurring on your home is to remove as much snow as possible from the roof. This entails the risky work of climbing onto the roof and shoveling the snow off a slippery and angled surface. A safer approach is to rake snow from the roof using long-handled snow rakes.
If ice dams have already formed and water begins coming into the house, Stash Property Restoration can provide emergency flood repairs to minimize water damage. We can also remove moisture-damaged materials, such as carpeting and wallboard.
Get a free estimate to repair any water damage caused by ice dams. We are Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana's water damage restoration experts in Indiana, serving Gary, South Bend, Valparaiso, Cicero, Orland Park, Lemont, Berwyn, Portage, Lake Station, Chesterton and areas nearby.
For a long-term solution to ice damming, we will air seal large air leaks and upgrade insulation materials where necessary. This will enable your attic to maintain a cold enough temperature that snow on the shingles and rooftop won't melt and form ice dams. Without melting snow on cold days, the likelihood of ice dams is eliminated. Snow will melt naturally on the next warm day and drain down the roof harmlessly.
Keep your home protected and looking great with your local contractor today
At Stash Property Restoration, we care about keeping your home looking and functioning the way it's supposed to. Whether you need anything from a small roof repair to a complete disaster restoration, we will be there for you with quality products, skilled craftsmanship, and fantastic customer service.
To learn more about our services and get a free estimate, call or email us today! We proudly serve in Portage, Chesterton, Valparaiso, Crown Point, Dyer, East Chicago, Michigan City, Hammond, Highland, Munster, Schererville and throughout the surrounding areas.